Maintaining Clean Air Filters
If you live in Arizona, you know how dusty our environment can be. People often ask me which air filters are best for their A/C systems, and how often they should be replaced.
Here is my rule of thumb: During the summer months, you should check and replace your air filters every 30 days from May through September. When dust storms occur more frequently, filters may need to be replaced sooner than 30 days.
- Pleated air filters have more surface area than standard, flat disposable air filters. The material is denser, and catches more particulates or air born particles.
- Pleated air filters are not as restrictive to air flow as 1” washable air filters. Washable air filters are very dense and catch more particles. However, they restrict air flow up to 20%, and will cause your A/C unit to work harder, increasing your monthly bill.
Although there are less expensive air filters on the market that will work for your unit, they are not as efficient. If you hold one to the light and there are light spots shining through the porous openings, dust will also pass through those openings. This will lead to dirty coils, and even clogged condensate drain lines down the road. Purchasing a more durable and efficient filter will save you time, energy and money in the long run.
Check out Tim’s Tips below for more information about purchasing air filters. As always, feel free to give us a call if you have any questions
Owner and President
…you don’t get many people like John. He asks the right questions, and is always helpful. He did a really nice job.”
Tim’s Tips is a monthly feature by Tim Miller, Field Operations Manager at Arizona Comfort Specialists. Like everyone else here, Tim’s mission is to make, sure you and your family are comfortable.
Tim’s Tips for Getting New Air Filters:
The effectiveness of a mechanical air filter is measured in MERV ratings (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value). Generally speaking, the cheaper the filter is, the lower the MERV ratings is. In other words, “you get what you pay for”. Air filters with lower MERV ratings need to be replaced more frequently than ones with high MERV ratings.
- Fiberglass air filters are thin, see-thru, cheap, and MERV-rated 1-4. They remove less than 10% of air particulates.
- Pleated air filters remove up to 45% of air particulates, and are MERV-rated 10-13
- High-efficiency air filters are the most popular for residential systems. They remove up to 80% of the air pollutants from the home.
Air filters for you’re A/C unit filters can be purchased in many places including home improvement stores and discount department stores. If you have a special size filter not easily found in stores, call us and we will help you locate them.
End of Summer Special Offer
Sign up for one of our ‘True Comfort’ service agreements and enjoy peace-of-mind for a whole year.
And for a very limited time, we are offering $50 off our ‘Best’ True Comfort service agreement or 6 free high-efficiency air filters when you sign up for our ‘Better’ True Comfort service agreement.
Arizona Comfort Specialists is a Proud Supporter of
Arizona Camp Sunrise & Sidekicks offer special
programs for children who have or have had cancer, and
their brothers and sisters.